Te Mānawa Atawhai - Catherine McAuley Center
The new spiritual centrepiece for Christchurch Sisters of Mercy presents a rethinking of traditional sacred space. Located between Villa Maria College and Mercy House, the Centre is as much a space of retreat and learning as it is a chapel.
The project imbues a sense of memory of their arrival from Ireland to the rain forests of Hokitika, New Zealand in 1878. It links the Mercy story with Maori spirituality and the ancient lore of the land, and their bi-cultural teachings.
The design illuminates these relationships with three key ideas; a building shaped by the ancient Ichthys symbol and its arc, a Sanctuary Garden at its core, enveloped with pleated cladding evoking the ‘shawl of tender mercy’.
2018 NZIA Regional Public Architecture Award
2018 NZIA NZ Architecture Public Architecture Award Shortlist
Type: Community / Spiritual
Client: Sisters of Mercy
Team: Hamish Shaw, Javier Cuello Castro, Aggy Jeon, Brian Lopesi, Lucia de Zavala
Location: 31 Peer Street, Christchurch
Photography: Sam Hartnett